Web Development: From beginner to innovator in 12 months
What is Web Development?
In our web development courses, we focus on creating simple and functional web pages.
- HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language, and it controls the content on a web page. If you were to think of a website as a human body, you could think of HTML as the language that controls the “skeleton” of your website.
- CSS stands for Cascading Stylesheets, and it controls the presentation of a web page. You can think of it as the language that controls the “clothes” your website wears.
Overview of our Web Dev course
Below is an overview of our 12-month Web Dev pathway. It is made up of four 8-week courses, to be delivered each school term.
Level 1 Course
Discover the fundamentals of the internet and web development.
- The fundamentals of the internet
- Intro to text editors (e.g. Notepad)
- Intro to HTML
- Brief intro to CSS
- Storing and naming files
- Creating multiple pages and linking them
- Creating a navigation menu
- Designing and creating a personal web page that can display text, images, and music.
- Using HTML & CSS in Notepad to create the website.
- Project to include: logo, stylesheet, navigation menu, and 3 pages.
Level 2 Course
Consolidate fundamentals and explore more challenging concepts.
- Review of: fundamentals of the internet and websites
- Review of: text editors and naming files
- Consolidating and explore HTML
- Further exploring CSS
- Displaying text and image via button click
- Using tables
- Designing and creating a website for a fictional business.
- Project to include: logo, table, stylesheet, navigation menu, 6 pages, and 3 buttons.
Level 3 Course
Apply more advanced concepts in more complex problems.
- Consolidating and explore more challenging HTML & CSS
- Calling functions by button click
- Manipulating text and images via button clicks and variables
- Using if statements
- Using arrays
- Creating and embedding computer games
- Designing and creating a gaming web page for a fictional business.
- Project to include: an array, a button, and 2 games.
Level 4 Course
Extend yourself. Design your own projects. Let your imagination guide your development.
- Review of: naming files, making tables, buttons, arrays, making dynamic pages
- Planning your project, wireframes
- Building your own project
- Extending your knowledge by building website to suit your project needs
- Building your own project. Project to include:
- Project plan and wireframes
- Aesthetic and user-friendly design
- Interactive web experience with dynamic pages
Download a PDF copy of our Web Dev pathway!
If you’re interested to find out more