PyCon 2017: Introducing Python into primary school
Emily de la Pena presenting at the PyCon – Python in Education Seminar, Melbourne, Friday 4 August 2017.
I presented at PyCon – Python in Education Seminar – in Melbourne on Friday 4 August 2017. Did you know that you can embed Digital Technologies into Year 5 Science and Year 6 English with these Python projects.
We like to use Python because it is a simple, readable, general purpose programming language that is a great language for beginners to learn.
See presentation slides below.
Year 5 Science – Solar System Quiz
Create your own quiz and test your friends’ knowledge of the solar system. Press the forward arrow to run the program and play the quiz. Press the pencil icon to see the code.
- The Earth is part of a system of planets orbiting around a star (the sun) (ACSSU078)
- Design a user interface for a digital system (ACTDIP018)
- Plan, create and communicate ideas and information, including collaboratively online, applying agreed
ethical, social and technical protocols(ACTDIP022)
Simple quiz program:
More challenging quiz program (uses random and dictionary):
Year 6 English – Text Adventure Game
Create your own text adventure game. Design your own imaginary world, characters, challenges and quests. Press the forward arrow to run the program and play the game. Press the pencil icon to see the code.
- Define problems in terms of data and functional requirements drawing on previously solved problems (ACTDIP017)
- Explain how student solutions and existing information systems are sustainable and meet current and future local community needs (ACTDIP021)
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations, selecting and sequencing appropriate content and multimodal elements for defined audiences and purposes, making appropriate choices for modality and emphasis (ACELY1710)
Text adventure story flowchart. Break down the story first, then start programming.
This is our Digital Technologies and Design and Technologies Tracking Tool for Years 5 & 6. Other class activities make use of other tools such as Scratch and Makey Makey.
Digital Technologies Tracking Tool for Year 5-6
Design and Technologies Tracking Tool for Year 5-6
Feel free to contact me if you would like to connect about introducing Python projects in primary schools. Email me at: hello [at] codingkids.com.au
If you’re interested in our online classes, click the button below.
If you’re interested to find out more